- Randy Whatley- Director
- [email protected]
The Middle School Band meets as two bands during 3rd and 8th Periods. These bands are unique because they start to expose the students to the actions and perks of the High School Band. The band plays at home football games (8th Grade Game only) and performs at peprallies. The band also has Flags and Majorettes. Membership in the twirling groups are by tryouts only.
After football season the band switches into Concert Mode, getting ready for the Christmas Concert. In the Spring Semester, the band practices and prepares for the UIL Concert and Sightreading Contest. This is a two part contest. In the first part, the band prepares three pieces and performs them for three judges. The band will receive a Division Rating from 1 to 5. 1 being Superior and 5 being very bad. In the second part, the band goes into a room where they have 7 minutes to silently look at a brand new piece of music. During this time, the band CANNOT perform the piece or practice the piece. They can make no sounds whatsoever. After the 7 minute period, the band performs it for three judges. As stated previously, they receive a Division Rating from 1 to 5. The scoring is based on a “2 out of 3″ scoring procedure. If the band receives a 1st Division from two judges in the concert part and a 1st Division from two judges in the Sightreading part, they will receive the title of a “Sweepstakes Band”. This is the highest honor given by the UIL to band programs.
****ALL PERFORMANCES ARE REQUIRED AND A GRADE IS GIVEN! IF YOU KNOW YOU WILL MISS A PERFORMANCE, AN ALTERNATIVE ASSIGNMENT WILL BE ISSUED IF THE STUDENT COMES AND RECEIVES AN ASSIGNMENT SHEET FROM MR. WHATLEY. ****
Grades Will Be Determined By the following for the 8th Grade Band
- Each Student will begin each six weeks with a participation grade of 100.
- The grade will only be lowered if there is a disciplinary problem in class like constant disruptions. That will be the only way the participation grade will go down.
Students will still have chair tests and rhythm tests that will also affect their overall grade.
– Semester Exams-
- Semester Exams and final six weeks grades are determined by attendance to the end of the semester concerts. (Christmas and Spring Concerts).
- This grade is an easy score of 100 just by attending and playing at the concert.
- If a student is absent from the concert, they must complete the 10 page research paper as their alternate assignment at 10 points per page.
Please be aware that the posting of your child(s) grades will vary according to the subject area ranging from three (3) days to two (2) weeks determined by the complexity of the assignments. Minor assignments: 1-3 days; Major assignments: 3-5 days; Major writing assignments, major projects: 10 days. Please check your child’s teacher website for additional information.